Deep dive into my selfhosted infrastructure
Hey there! I haven't been posting anything here recently and have been busy exploring my way through many selfhosted apps. Mostly working on improving the users experience in Jellyfin. I have also been investing most of my money on hardware and time on hosting these stuff. To be honest, I have learned a lot and gained experience whilst I tried, explored my way through various services.
Jokes apart, I'll give a quick tour of my hardware and most used selfhosted apps.
I own a Dell Poweredge R720 which runs Proxmox VE with following specs:
- 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2667 (12 cores, 24 threads)
- 32 GB DDR3 ECC RAM
- 256 GB SATA SSD
- 16 TB WD Enterprise SAS HDD (10.5 TB Usable RaidZ1)
I also have a Raspberry Pi 4 (2GB RAM) in home connected to TP Link Router (OpenWRT)
I also own a few VPS along with Oracle's always free ARM instances. I use Netcup GmbH to get my VPS servers they are reliable and provide cost efficient servers. I know, owning VPS ain't self hosting. But it is what it is. Some stuff are better in cloud and some better in home.
What do I host here...?
Over the years, I have stopped relying on Google/Microsoft or any Big tech companies to take care of my data. As I have the technical knowledge to host and maintain most of the things I would need, why pour money on monthly subscriptions, when you can invest on hardware and have the freedom you need. Selfhosting ain't bulletproof without any cons. Everything has its own advantages and disadvantages. It all comes to the point where you find your sweet spot of happiness.
So coming to the selfhosted apps,
- Blog - Ghost blog
- Documentation/Wiki - Bookstack
- Dashboard - Homepage
- Media Management - Jellyfin
- Music streaming - Navidrome
- Reverse Proxy - Traefik
- Ebook reader - Kavita
- Web Archiver - Shiori
- Monitoring - Uptime Kuma
- NAS - TrueNAS\
- Photos - Photoprism
- Monitoring Stack - Prometheus, Node exporter, Cadvisor, Grafana
- Netmaker - Connects all my servers, VPS on a mesh network
- Torrent client - qBittorrent (You know😉, to download/seed my favorite Linux distros)
- RSS Aggregator - FreshRSS
- Change Detection - Detects changes in my websites based on code or visual blocks
- VPN - Wireguard - A secure, fast tunnel to connect to my home from outside
- Pi-hole - DNS Adblocker + Local DNS
- *arr stack (Radarr, Sonarr, Lidarr, Readarr,Prowlarr) IYKYK 🥱
- Last but not least, Nextcloud - Its features and uses can't be explained in a single line. Hats off to the devs for amazing project and apps.
Below is quick peek at my dashboard showcasing all my self hosted services.
I will keep updating this list as I move further through this selfhosting journey. I hope this quick peek on my infra can bug the selfhoster in you. If so, welcome to the rabbit hole of immense knowledge and learning.